These 5 Simple Steps will help you find the Best Vein Specialist to treat your varicose veins or spider veins.
Finding a skilled vein doctor can make all the difference in the quality of care and treatment you receive. Venous insufficiency is a progressive disease. When left untreated it can worsen, and in some cases, lead to blood clots and ulcers. Treating your veins with a vein specialist early on is the best way to ensure the disease does not worsen.
1. Do Your Research
To get the results you want (no more veins!), a competent vein doctor must have:
- Board certification in specialties like internal medicine, cardiology, and interventional cardiology.
- Professional affiliations with other medical organizations.
- At least 10 years of experience.
While not necessary, these additional credentials can assure you will receive the best possible care:
- Holds accreditation by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories (ICAVL).
- Number of procedures the doctor has performed
- Additional training the doctor has, like cardiac care
- Any medical publications or presentations
2. Get Recommendations
People generally feel most comfortable visiting a physician who is recommended by someone they know. Ask a family member, friend, or co-worker. You can also ask trusted healthcare professionals. Reach out to your primary care physician, dermatologist, or OBGYN for a referral.
For extra credit, you can read reviews on a vein specialist’s website or social channels to see what other patients experienced.
3. Get All of Your Questions Answered
It’s important to understand what’s happening in your body and what options you have to address the issues. Make sure you have enough time with an expert to get the answers to your questions. A free consultation is a great way to ask all your questions, understand what to expect, and learn how to plan accordingly. Here are some good questions to ask.
- If unsure of diagnosis: What else could this be?
- What are the treatment options for your condition?
- What are the risks and benefits of each treatment option?
- How long is the procedure?
- Is sedation used?
- Is it out-patient?
- Is there downtime after the procedure?
- What is the healing process like?
- Will there be scarring?
Answers will vary based on your specific condition, health status, and overall needs. As long as the medical staff explains everything clearly, you’ll be ready to walk on the path to recovery.
4. Think About Logistics
To commit yourself to the entire vein healing process, it’s important to make sure your vein specialist fits within your needs and lifestyle. Consider the following when looking for a vein doctor:
- Multiple Locations or Primary Office. It should be close and convenient for you to visit in case you have more than one treatment.
- Virtual Appointments. An at-home consultation to discuss your symptoms and make recommendations is convenient (especially due to the current COVID-19 pandemic).
- Office Hours. Look at what days and times the doctor sees patients.
- Languages. More offices are offering bilingual options, so check to see that it’s offered if you need to effectively communicate.
- Online Portal. Many doctors now use email or an online portal to communicate with patients, which may be another item of importance for you when selecting a physician.
- Medical Staff. Courteousness of scheduling, the professionalism of nurses, PA’s, techs, etc.
- Insurance. Check with the doctor’s insurance representative to see if you can get coverage. Most major insurance companies will cover vein treatment.
5. Follow Your Instinct
After you’ve done your research and asked your questions, go with what your gut tells you. At the end of the day, you need to be comfortable with the office you choose and confident that the doctor is qualified and cares for you and your overall health.
Today, patients have many options to find the best vein doctor. The internet and social media play a big part when choosing the right fit for your needs. When you do find a vein specialist that checks all the boxes, make sure you review or offer a recommendation so others can benefit. Help other patients locate good doctors by raving about the ones who deserve it.
At Delaware Advanced Vein Center, our medical staff has years of experience helping people with their spider and varicose veins. We would love to welcome you to our family of satisfied patients.